I recieved an email from Chris . . .
I had a question about a motorcycle license.
Can you get one without a normal drivers license, like a permit or something??
Here in California you do not need a driver’s license to get a motorcycle license. All you need is:
- Fill out the DMV’s motorcycle license form (DL 44) and pay $26 (at the time of this writing)
- Pass the written test, you get three chances
- Pass the skills test or pass a CHP approved motorcycle rider training course
There are some caveats;
- If you do not have a Class C (for automobiles) driver’s license, you will need to take the written automobile test and road test through the DMV
- If you are under 21, the CHP approved motorcycle rider training course is mandatory
- If you are over 21, the CHP approved motorcycle rider training course is optional, and completion will waive the skills test
- If you are between 15 1/2 and 16 years old you can only get your motorcycle permit
- If you are over 16 and do not take the skills or road test you can get a permit
With the permit you are not allowed to ride
- with a passenger
- at night
- on the freeway
Most states are the same way and some have a few more or less hoops to jump through. I hope this helps and let us know how you are doing. See you on the road!Permalink